Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Day I Met Anne

Today I don't want to discuss Broadway. Today Broadway was a hassle. This happens occasionally, we simply do whatever we have to do to make it till the curtain comes down. On days like this, I remind myself how lucky I am to have work on a hit show and not have to worry about where next months rent is coming from... That being said, we move forward.

Today was the national release day of Anne Rice's latest endeavor; Christ the Lord, Out of Egypt. It was with some trepidation that I began reading this latest work from one of my favorite authors. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to handle her approach to the subject matter... I mean, Jesus speaking as a 7 year old. Interesting enough concept, but I was deeply concerned that this was going to be another over the top Philosophy Lesson ale Anne. (Like Memnoch was.) I'm pleased to report that I'm half way through and I've been 'with' her from the very first page. And it wasn't easy starting an Anne book in the corridor of Grand Central Station; it's not the quietest place in the city. Why was I reading a book in Grand Central Station this afternoon?! Simple... I decided to finally take a little more advantage of my location. I live in the western capital of the world. And that also means THIS time around, NYC got Anne on the actually release date for a booksigning.

I had completed the first 5 chapters when it was my turn to approach the table... Not bad, I only waited about 90 minutes in line. Getting there early was a perk, as I was within the first 25 people IN line. Anne was all smiles and extremely friendly and looked Good! We had brief 2 minute conversation before her various assistants started to physically shove the next persons book under her pen. I thanked her for years of entertainment and passion and asked her to continue writing. She assured me she would and called me a gentleman. Sigh... I really would love to have coffee with that woman and discuss her books with her personally. (She may reformulate her opinion of me being a gentleman, if it actually came to that) At least she always elicits a response in me; I'm never luke-warm about anything she writes. I either love it, or hate it. LOL But I've purchased her new books on the day of their release for the last 7 years or so...

Some of you may not know it, but I'm a very avid reader of fiction. It's been a very busy fall for me as a handful of my 'must read' authors have published books within the last 2 months. All of which I have been eagerly awaiting. I'm sure I'll comment on each book individually at some point, so you may look forward to hearing a little of my thoughts on the latest and greatest according to Artiessimo. (but just to put it out there, Praise Heaven that Robert Jordan FINALLY published a book that MOVED the story forward instead of dragging his heels). More on Knife of Dreams Later...

Christ the Lord, Out of Egypt was the Final book in my List of Fall Reads. And I'll most likely have it done by Thursday (if not tomorrow or tonight!) Then I'll get back to the last 2 Terry Brook's books I have to read before his next book is published; a prequel drawing two separate series together.

This posting turned out longer than I thought. Hope this finds you well and in good spirits.

Until Next Time,
Love and Light

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home