Monday, February 26, 2007

Weekend Events

I finally got to see Scott yesterday. I don't remember the last time I actually laid eyes on him, but it was before I jetted off on vacation. He's tired, and sick (although he wouldn't/Couldn't come out and say it). He couldn't say much of anything above a whisper. He's lost his voice. Most people would consider that a handicap, but Scott was even more amusing even with no voice. It was great seeing you booger, and I hope you feel better soon.

Scott's next/latest Broadway offering begins previews tomorrow night. I, and friends of the cast will be enjoying the final dress rehearsal tonight. I called up one of my old performers who is working on a movie at the moment and invited him to attend with me. So I'll be enjoying seeing him again this evening as well; dinner and a show. All in All, it is shaping up to be a really decent day off.

As I was walking home from Scott's last night, it began to snow. Big fluffy flakes of snow lightly falling straight down. There was next to no wind, the sidewalks were still dry; I daresay it was actually pretty. Rarely do I call snowfall pretty, but this was. The nicest part about it was that for the time it took me to walk home there was no icy wind blowing me to and fro. I was grateful that the storm they kept warning us about had waited until I got home from work to occur.

I don't know what it's like outside of the city, but there is barely a smattering of snow on the ground this morning. Yes, it snowed last night, but you would have thought we were going to be housebound for days the way they were hyping it. I see JetBlue canceled flights today, so SOMETHING big must have happened outside the city, or perchance they just over reacted. Although considering their debacle last week, better safe than sorry. Hell would have had No Fury like me, trapped on a plane for 11 hours. (Actually, I wouldn't have been trapped in the plane; I would have been arrested for forcing an emergency exit and leading a consumer revolt).

It was another enjoyable evening of TV last night. The Amazing Race actually started on time and was entertaining enough to keep me focused. One of my least favorite teams, both times, Kevin & Drew, were eliminated. Rob and Amber continue being the first team to the pit stop, this week because they were the only team to keep their minds on the race and not run around like chickens. Looking busy isn't completing tasks. Most teams became frantic and made stupid mistakes, all due to their inability to properly read and absorb written direction. Of course, this is what makes the show entertaining (or as entertaining as sub-scripted 'reality' tv can be). This weeks pit stop was in The Valley of the Dead in Chile. My personal favorite moment of the show was when Kevin & Drew got their 4-wheel drive SUV stuck and hooked the tow strap to Kevin to pull it out (and then Drew kept driving and towed Kevin and almost ran him over/flung him into another sink hole.) Priceless.

Then I started watching The Oscars. I taped it, and haven't seen it all yet, but I did enjoy tuning in just in time to see Jennifer Hudson win Best Supporting Actress. Now you all know I'm a huge fan of Ms Hudson, I have been from the very beginning. I think my mouth fell open more than hers when they called her name. I honestly didn't expect her to win. I'm happy for her that she did, although I honestly doubt that Acting wise, she was superior to any of the other nominees. She is undeniably one of the most gifted vocalists of this day and age. She has an incredible instrument, and such control of it for someone so young; I love her dearly, but she is not a Great actress. I'm not saying that to be mean or spiteful either; that's how I feel. I think the director and editor should be given major props for filming her the way they did. Don't get me wrong, I wish her a very long and successful career, but I doubt it's going to be in movies. Get your incredible talent back in the recording studio babe, and work on your own act... I was also pleased to see Melissa Etheridge take the Oscar for best song. Girrl Power!!

Of all the films nominated, I have only seen Dreamgirls, so I can't comment on any of the rest of them. I just don't go to the movie theatre and see many movies. I'm more of a on-demand and dvd kinda guy. Of course, I go see the big ones that I want to see in the theatre (Potter, Spiderman (anything with James Franco helps me overcome my distaste of NYC movie theatres enough to GO to a movie)). Some people just brood better on the large screen, and in spidy2, he even cried... oh was I in heaven. (See how easily I can be distracted by pouty lips and a tear?)

Speaking of pouty lips and a tear: In the aforementioned walk home in the 'pretty' snow last night, I walked past Vinyl and I wish I had had my camera. It was a snapshot moment, and it will forever be burned into my personal hard drive. There was a very handsome young man standing on the sidewalk, leaning up against the restaurant facade in his black wool coat, hands crammed in his pockets, with the most forlorn look on his face, while his dark curly hair and jacket was gently being dusted by falling snow. I wonder what was bothering him; he was obviously wrapped deeply in thought even though he was pointedly watching me approach. It looked like he really needed a hug, but even in Hells Kitchen that kind of behavior can get your butt kicked. So I refrained from physical contact, but I did slow down my walk while I was drinking him in, and I Turned and acknowledged him as I passed, and said, "Everything will be OK, you just need to believe." It shocked him of course, and I must have stuck close to the point, because it snapped him out of his reverie; he managed a slow smile and replied, "You are correct, Thank you." I flashed him my best smile, nodded, and continued on my way, without ever ceasing my forward momentum. It was a moment, and it filled me with warmth and compassion; something I don't exhibit much of to strangers (no matter how sexy) in this city. I'm still wondering who was meant to meet whom, but I continued my enjoyable walk home with a new lightness of step and peace of mind. Perhaps I was meant to give that advice to myself...

There was a whole lot of constant banging going on this morning. Fierce enough to feel the bed shake. I don't know what it was, but it lasted for 3 hours this morning, beginning at 7 am. I managed to drift in and out of light sleep, but finally just got up. I don't know if it's the remodeling next door or what. It was almost like hammering, but I couldn't define what it was, nor where it was coming from. Sometimes it sounded like the building next door, and sometimes it sounded like it was coming from my upstairs neighbor. This apartment makes me laugh... the whole building shakes when trucks hit the sinkhole in the street, and everything shakes. I realign the picture above the bedroom door every other day or so. I was laying in bed, thankful that D wasn't here; as I was beginning to get an idea of how repetitive noise/vibration effects her. And let's face it, when your blood pressure is boiling, it's not like you can fall back asleep. I finally got up and made coffee...

I am going to force myself to the market today for a few things. I made no plans to be out (other than dinner/show) due to the forecast blizzard. Traffic is flying by, and I don't need to wear boots; so I'm going to the store and then will come home and fix something light for lunch and continue making plans for the rest of the week.

Happy Monday to you all.

Love and Light!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home