Thursday, February 22, 2007

Chicks and Ducks and Geese better Scurry

(You get points if you came identify the above reference).

What a busy busy day I've had. The universe is maintaining ying/yang today; at least it is balanced.

Tax appointment completed, satisfactorily for me. I could most likely have squeaked a few more dollars out, but best to have a sound return filed. My tax situation changed drastically this year, as I had no schedule C to be filed. No 1099's to report, no untaxed income. I lost a lot of credits by not having my personal business running last year, but it's all for the good. I had to have a very serious conversation with George to convince him that it really WAS a business trip to Vegas to see Celine. I work in Major entertainment, attending (and paying for) Major entertainment IS a tax deduction for me. Call it research, call it keeping abreast of the latest information/technology or whatever you want. The whole reason of the trip was to see and hear Ms Dion, and to add yet another Cirque show to my rep. I think I actually had George convinced right off, but he insisted on picking it apart. Luckily I had had my coffee and was ready to justify my position.

After the tax appointment, I RACED home. All the morning coffee was seeking an outlet, and the line to the watercloset was too deep. I live 2 blocks away afterall.

Suddenly I find myself slicing and dicing, frying and sautéing, and repeatedly asking the girls nicely to stay out from under my feet. I had all the fixings for my pork/peppers lasagna, and didn't come to realize I was cooking until I was about 1/2 way through the project. I got everything layered into the pan and then wrapped it up and threw it in the fridge. I'll roast that baby when I get home from work tonight, and have delicious meals for the next few days.

I managed to JUST get the kitchen cleaned up before it was time to head off on my next errand. I'm seeking work, and one of the best things to do when you are seeking employment is to go to the union meetings. Usually a handful of supervisors are present at the monthly meetings and you can distribute numerous resumes at once. One stop shopping, if you will. Unfortunately, the Rain that had been holding off all day decided to cut loose about 1/2 hour before the start of the meeting, and there was only one supervisor present this afternoon. A bust, but good for me to attend a union meeting.

Unfortunately, I do not enjoy these meetings, for numerous reasons. I was an FFA officer for many years in high school, both on the local and regional level; as well as competing in local and regional contests in parliamentary procedure. It's safe to say that I have more education than the average bear when it comes to Proper/Official procedure. I spend more time wanting to stand and dictate Point of Order during these meetings that I do gaining any real information. It basically boils down to: they tell us what they have decided, there is nothing the membership can do about it. To which I beg to differ. Now before you all climb on your soapboxs and preach at me about effecting change: NO, I am not on any committees, and I do not attend meetings regularly. For the longest time I was working during said meetings. Do I care enough to sacrifice MY time to help improve our union by attending meetings or joining committees?

No. And I'll tell you why. I distrust them all, and simply attending meeting infuriates me. It's not about OUR union, it's about peoples personal agenda's and power plays. It's a no win situation. We have some real 'winners' in our local, both on our boards and in the membership.
I'm better off being infuriated alone than being on a committee and having to interact with the aforementioned people. Heaven only knows what would come out of my mouth, and almost has. It's best for my career if I stay away from them.

That being said, in the next 4 years, I'll be kissing my health insurance goodbye or paying for it all myself. Thanks Bush/Congress, and my local representatives. They keep drastically increasing our minimum earning requirements while lower our benefits. I could expound more on the health care situation, but I must gather myself and wits and head to work now.

All in all, a very productive and decent day.

I have to do a drive by and drop another resume off on the way to work tonight. An acquaintance/past coworker of mine is going to be prepping her latest broadway show soon. She needs to know I'm available...

Love and Light to you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home