Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Perfect Example

Yes, I was up early and I ran my errands, ALL of them, hemorrhaging money all over Manhattan (as I am prone to do). I had a lot to take care of, the drugstore, godiva, the card shop, Scott's apartment, and then a swing by the theatre to drop off a load and to thank AuntiE D for allowing the girls to take care of her for a week. I hope you get better soon D!!!

On my way into the theatre itself I discover my box has arrived from FL. I bought a very large, very heavy, book in Sarasota which I promptly shipped to the theatre with a few knickknacks and trinkets I picked up for my 'important' people at work. Good, now I don't look like I came back from holiday empty handed! I picked up some great Dali magnets from the museum that were in the box. So I got to hand those out while the rest of them were doing Daywork.

Then one of my bosses rounds the corner, seemingly so happy to see me (in all my tanned glory), and asks what I am doing here so early. To which I coyly smiled and replied "Oh, I decided I had best come in early and see if I could stand this joint or not; while I still had time to call out." "Oh no! We need you here... You are scheduled to train someone tonight."

(Insert tires Screeching to a halt here)

"Well, I sure as hell hope I remember how to train it; you couldn't give me One show back in the building ?" For that matter, he has to learn MY track tonight? You know, all the choice things flitting through my mind that I'm not allowed to say. But at that precise moment was when the headache moved forward about 3 inches... A perfect example of why we feel 'punished' for taking time off. It's also a perfect example of what I consider poor management. Of course, I'm being bitter and selfish. The first show back is always more festive; you have stories to tell, and little trinkets to pass out, and hugs and kisses to deliver. I'm usually happy to see people again (the very ones I couldn't wait to get away from). But management is going to rain on my parade and make me Think and Talk and Train Wicked tonight. No idle conversations backstage for me tonight, as training demands 150% of my time.

What's training? Let's review. Training is teaching someone my show or 'track' that I perform every day. All my presets, all my changes. It's basically a 4 hour running monologue with pauses for introductions & questions. Training is important, and demands even More attention than the 100% any typical show requires; Especially this one. It's fast and furious. The 'swing' or trainee only gets to watch me do One show. Then they come back and I watch them do the show. That's it. Show number 3 for the swing is solo. Which means spewing forth an incredible amount of vital information in a very limited time; for example, where you stand to avoid flying scenery or light ladders from landing on you, or when you can cross the deck and not be trampled by exiting chorus. Unfortunately my track is about cleanup, choreography, and timing. It is like a dance backstage, the carpenters can't set scenery until I clear chairs and clothes, and must dance around props and moving scenery while I do it. It's a lot to do every day, much less have to have the running diatribe of How and Why going while I do it.

Glamorous. Show business is so Glamorous!!!

So there is my rant. I did a lot of thinking about continuing my business relationship with this show while I was away, and today is just another nail in their coffin. I already know it's past time to get a new job, I'm developing Long run-itis. I just can't let go of this cash cow until I convince myself that I can either work more hours, or I find a new and less expensive apartment. But I am no longer allowing myself to feel trapped by it... Every penny I pinch out of them is one more minute in Italy...

Now it's off to print out my notes for tonight.

Love and Light!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home