Sunday, August 10, 2008

Day Two/ Load in

Boston
Day Two
Load-In

Mega!!! But more on that later…
The day started leisurely with a stop at Panera Bread, which is right around the corner from the hotel. You all know I’m worthless (and even quite cranky) before my first cup of coffee. I could have (and probably should have) made coffee in my room. I do have a coffee pot and coffee mugs, but I was very excited about Panera, as we don’t have them in NYC.

I ordered a muffin and a latte and paid for my order. The cashier then headed over to the coffee bar, where I watched her open a manual. It was then I discovered she was wearing a pink shirt when everyone else was in black. Trainee? Anyhow… I watched her make the latte which included seeing her pull the milk out of the refrigerator. It was a little light on the milk by the time she completed it, but again, I wasn’t over the edge or anything. I’m actually in a very good place right now, and my patience is longer than is typical for me (especially before my first cup of coffee).

I took my latte and a muffin and proceeded to cross 3 major intersections which brought me to the wharf/docks. I sat down on a bench and enjoyed my morning java and muffin surrounded by water and major boats. It was a beautiful and sunny morning, and not too hot either. It was a lovely breakfast on the bay. Until…. My stomach revolted. I had barely made it back to my hotel room when I realized that my stomach was not having any of that latte. All the talk yesterday about vomiting? Well today, I did. Then felt perfectly ok after a 30 minute laydown.

I had a noon meeting with the wardrobe supervisor and my fellow co-worker. I had yet to actually meet either of them face to face. Our call time wasn’t until 3:30, and we decided to have lunch and get acquainted prior to load-in commencing for us at the venue. We strolled down to State Street and over to the Faneuil Hall area where the three of us finally decided that the Cheers bar/grill had the best menu of what we were looking for. It was an amazing couple of hours, and it’s very refreshing to come to realize that all three of us have similar tastes. “I think this menu is too limited.” We all agreed. “I would like something a little bit lighter than what’s offered here.” Agreed. What a lovely stroll and early afternoon it was. We have many friends and co-workers in common. I have stated to many of you that I have been working towards this gig the last 20 years of my life, and it’s true. If it weren’t for the friends we have in common, I wouldn’t be here on this tour right now.

Mega. You didn’t think I had forgotten I mentioned that, did you? Great Balls of Fire!! Yah, it’s MEGA. I mentioned yesterday that there were 50+ people at this hotel. What I didn’t mention is that there are another 50+ people at another hotel. There are over 100 people who travel with HerSelf to make this all happen. You want more statistics/logistics? Ok! In the European Legs of the tour there were 5 tour buses full of staff and no less than 17 semi trailers of equipment. This show is MEGA.

We arrive at the venue at 3:30. Load in had commenced at 6am this morning (I love not stage managing… showing up for a huge load in 9 hours after it starts). I step off the freight elevator to be surrounded with the typical load in insanity. The first thing that catches my eye is Herself’s autograph/logo. It’s painted on every single road box/crate/hamper in the joint. It was only THEN that I realized that I was not in fact being Punked, and that this was really happening. Now I’m like a kid in a candy store… (but still perfectly calm and collected because I know She isn’t anywhere in the building until Tuesday).

It took about 30 minutes to finally get to the actual wardrobe room, because people were stopping us every 2 steps to say hello to my co-workers and to be introduced to me. This is Very much a family atmosphere, the rumours were true. I, of course, blossom when surrounded by foreign accents (although I will point out that I Am the Foreigner here).

Oh, sports arenas. The smell of stale man scent and spilled booze. There is nothing like it. Let there be no doubt that place is huge and will be filled to capacity on Tuesday and Wednesday evening.

I got my crash course in concert wear. It’s all very well organized and packed and we begin by unpacking the racks so that road boxes can be emptied. I start with the musicians and work my way into the dancers. Then I started to unpack and set up for the fittings that will be happening tomorrow. It’s not as bad as I initially thought, but we still have a lot of work to do, and get done as soon as possible; we need great looking clothes ASAP as the tour DVD begins filming long shots on Tuesday, our North American premier.

I am on top of the world… and we are not even to Sound Check or rehearsal yet!
Let’s chat for just a moment about how fat I am going to be at the end of this tour, shall we?! We are not fed by the local catering. Oh no, not us. HerSelf travels her own caterers, and I am here to tell you I am easily going to gain 10 pounds. I had a porkchop tonight that almost blew my mind. Everyone had been talking about how great the food was, but nobody did it justice. I am truly being spoiled rotten. I can only imagine eating 3 meals a day from these incredible people, all of whom greeted us by name when we arrived at the venue.

Let’s talk about Love. Let’s talk about life. Let’s talk about how I have admired the Voice. Let’s talk about how much Herself is spending to keep her crew spoiled and happy. Living life on the bus and working Rock-n-Roll is NOT an easy lifestyle, especially when you are at it for months at a time. My knowledge of the industry makes me very jaded sometimes, but this production team is going out of their way to do everything possible to keep us happy and healthy. My respect (and utter awe) has grown tremendously. Consider that … How many more hundreds of thousands of dollars a day could be going into their coffers, but instead, they are sharing the wealth, with all of us, down to the local people behind the scenes who are working to insure all of our welfare, well being, and success. MEGA!!

Now before you get all bent out of shape, thinking I’m being spoiled rotten (I am), I beg you to consider that even though I started ‘working’ today at 3:30, I also put in a 9 hour day. A short day, as tomorrow is going to be even longer, and Tuesday will consist of a rehearsal and a performance. When we really start to hit our stride on the road, I will be working from 6am to well after 1 or 2am. It’s Still Rock-n-Roll…

Oh my friends, I can’t express the joy I feel for the blessings I have received. I am working with a very talented and Great group of people, for an artist that I have loved for years. It’s more than I dreamed of, and again I remind you. I haven’t even met her yet.

Time for a shower and then off to bed. I’m excited for tomorrow morning, as I discovered a 7-11, three blocks from the hotel, that has my hazelnut cremer in a pump next to their coffee machine. Tomorrow I get to have my morning java my usual way!!!

Love and Light to you all!!

3 Comments:

Blogger ballet boys said...

Oh Imp. How exciting to read about your adventures. This is such a great idea and I feel like I'm there with you. I am in spirit. I can't wait for you to meet Herself and describe that feeling. I'm so proud of you. I know it is long hours and hard work but if you are being treat with respect and dignity, it does make a difference. Enjoy every second of your new life. I wish I was there with you. Who knows, stranger things have happened.
Know that we love and support you. Thank You for sharing with us as well.
We love you Imp.
Ballet boys

August 11, 2008 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a suck by suck account of the Slurpee Bitch! I am SOOOOO jonsin' for one now! I love you.

August 11, 2008 8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How not to put all of one's eggs in one basket when ya ain't got but the one egg, eh? And that egg is the Big Reason. Love from the land of free range eggs in every color.

August 11, 2008 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home