Saturday, August 09, 2008

Travel Day/Day One


New York and Boston

Day One

I’m coming to you live from Boston peeps!!! That’s correct, I’ve finally reached the end of the travel day and am kicking back in my (swanky) hotel room, keeping my promise to keep a journal of sorts.

Ah, Day one. It was a rough start to the day. It won’t come as any surprise that I’m way psyched about this gig. To the point of being crazy nervous about it. Ok, I’m not the least bit worried about my skills, I am more than capable of the work; but it has been a hard haul getting here. I’m more nervous about going back on the road and leaving my house, and my ‘normal’ life (Not that I put any stock in normal). Several times this morning I was actually wondering if I just needed to go vomit and get it over with. Worked up!! Yes, I do get excited about my work on occasion, and if you are reading this entry then you know exactly how big this gig is for me.

I got everything all pulled together and packed, although I had started to think I was going to have to have my own personal (clothing) gondola. I had to keep reminding myself that the suitcases could not be Full upon departure. It was quite an agonizing experience, trying to decide how I was going to present myself for the next several weeks. It may surprise some of you that I no longer have a blue Mohawk. I still have a Mohawk, but the color has gone to the way side. Anyhow, finally got it all into suitcases and got into the car and headed for the airport.

I had an incredible flight to Boston on the Delta shuttle. Now I have had some really crappy Delta flights in my day, but taking the shuttle rocks!! It has its own separate terminal, and it was a breeze. Very efficient and non annoying. Even the people seemed more pleasant. Of course the flight from NYC to Boston is so fast you barely have time for a beverage service… right about the time you hit cruising altitude, you are starting your descent. I’ve raged about Delta in the past but today they were a great airline.

Upon arriving in Boston, I grabbed my luggage and started to wonder to a different terminal where my tour mates were arriving and the van was to take us to the hotel. The flight from Montreal was delayed slightly so I had plenty of time to make it. I found myself standing by their luggage claim (which was servicing 3 different flights) and just watching people. Shortly there after I turned my head to see this middle-aged gentleman checking me out (as I’m standing next to 2 suitcases and a laptop).

“Are you waiting for a group of people?” he asked.

“Not just any group of people…” I replied.

He broke into a big grin and introduced himself; I had just scored a few points with the business manager. Off to a good start with him anyhow. I had picked a few people out of the crowd at baggage claim, wondering if they were tour mates. I was right about a few of them (but how hard is it to guess that the young man with tattoos covering both arms does Rock-n-Roll?)

I was asked how my French was, on the way to the hotel. “Lousy” I replied. I’ve been assured that it’s going to get better over the next few months (Or else I’m going to be left out of a lot of conversation). All good though, it will happen or it won’t; and I have just started back up with my Italian lessons again, so that ought to confuse my mind even more! Perhaps Mr Montreal (with the tattoos) would like to tutor me. Perhaps I can teach him some Italian, or American English.

Upon checkin at the hotel, I get a list… there are 54 people staying at this hotel with our group. I’m just saying… perhaps this will decline once we get rolling again, perhaps not… but it seems like a large group of people to be traveling to each city (please note that tour buses only have 12 bunks per bus).

I took a walk along the river front here in Boston after I got checked in. It was already dark and the lights were reflecting off the water. Boston is a beautiful city at night. I stopped and got a couple bottles of water and a light dinner to bring back to the hotel.

My room is loaded. Not only do I have coffee maker and iron/ironing board, but I also have a bathrobe. Sigh. I love being pampered. The thing that Really amazed me though: There is a large umbrella in my room! Yes, it’s the hotels, I checked… That’s what I call service.

I must conclude now. It’s almost 2am and it’s been a very long day. I am having lunch with my boss and other co-worker tomorrow prior to heading to the arena for our portion of the load in tomorrow (today). Nice slow launch (?) for this one, our first rehearsal and show is on Tuesday. Of course, any of this could change at the drop of a Canadian nickel… hehehe

Imp is here, and ready to play!! Bring it on.

Love and Light to you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home