Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Limping to the end (of this leg)

It hasn't been easy!! Either physically nor emotionally. Perhaps it is because we can all see the light at then end of the tunnel but we aren't quite there yet.

Columbus. Hmmm, what can I say? It was southern Ohio, the crew was nice but completely lacking in skills. I believe we even had a hairdresser on our crew; all were more concerned with the show than with working. At one point, hippie-chick was dancing in front of the under-deck monitor with her back to all the changes that were taking place. I spent my one break hanging (or rehanging) clothes on the other side of the stage. Perhaps they were color blind or just illiterate. Again I state, nice people, but theatrically talentless. Two of my four had never done a show before, and so we did the intelligent thing and split them up, one on each side of the stage. One would think that would have been best, no? No.

All things considered, I did manage to get quite a bit of my own work done, mainly because I wasn't being interrupted every 5 minutes for job assignments. I finally got some securing of the flapper dresses done, even if I was having to listen to grandma tell me how to make my tour better. Again, their hearts were in the right place, but it was almost like being in the south. Everything was just moving so much slower.

We rolled into Cleveland this morning at 4am. I inadvertently left my mobile on the bus, so while I had planned to make several important phone calls today, I am now not capable. DRAT!!! One involved finalizing plans to see my darlin' sister on Thursday. We will still be getting together but now I am going to have to wait till i get my phone back before I can actually talk to anyone.

We are staying at one of my (in the past) favorite Cleveland hotels. Although this time around I'm having a bit of an issue with them. The AC is up so high, and I'm in my second room and can't control it or even turn it down. I've complained repeatedly, and believe me, the manager is getting sick of hearing from me. I even went so far as to go downstairs to meet with him, and hack and cough as much as I could around him, in the attempts to enforce my message that my delicate constitution is NOT handling a 60 degree humidless room temperature well. While I seem to have been holding this cold off for the last few days, last night I appear to have lost the battle. It's full blown nastiness now, and I even feel crappy. I've shut OFF the AC and still it is dry and cold (not cool, COLD) in my room. For those of you who have been there, there is nothing worse than being sick and being on the road. I'm giving it one more day and if things don't calm down it will be time to find an urgent care center and see a (gasp) doctor.

Trying to adjust to a new dynamic of touring life. We had a few new people join our bus roster. We have gone from 8 to 10, which seriously reorganized our bus life. One of the additions is also one of the last people to get out of the venue, so we are now waiting for his arrival post loadout before we roll. He's done a full 2 hours after everyone else. And he's returned to our bus with a bad attitude which doesn't help matters when we could be half way to our next stop before he finally gets on the bus and we roll. Not complaining, just saying the dynamic has shifted and we are all trying to make the best of this new situation.

Had a great bonding moment with a few of the tour people last night while we were waiting to get rolling out of Columbus. We've become friendly, but last night we kind of bonded and got to know each other in a deeper way than just being cordial. Very interesting guys, and the highlight of the conversation was when one of them asked me if I was gay. LMAO. My response was, "I don't remember, it's been so long..." which brought down the house, and even made me giggle; thus blowing my straight cover(?).

I did have an epiphany last night as I was standing in the parking lot, watching the rest of the loadout happen. This really is a Big tour, and this really is the largest gig of my career to date. Ok, so I already knew this, but somehow it really struck home last night. Perhaps it was the robitussin, or perhaps it was just the timing of it all. I'm doing my best to accept the blessings and live in the moment...

Speaking of living in the moment. It was (as previously stated) a rather difficult day yesterday. Of course, HerSelf rose to the occasion. No matter how difficult the day is, once the show starts and I hear that Voice, it's all ok. My tiredness melts away and for the next 90+ minutes all is right with the world. I've now completed 23+(?) shows on this leg and they just get better and better. Last night, at the top of the show I got a great show wish from HerSelf (in reply to mine to Her). I got a great evening wish at the conclusion of the show too, but the real Gem of the entire day (and the thing that made everything that day A-ok) was the 2nd acknowledgment from stage to floor that I got during the opening number. I don't know if she is now actively looking for me, but she is definitely seeing me when I step out from under the deck. I can't help it that I wink when I catch her looking at me during the show. Last night she (again) winked back and then rolled into the bridge... no money note last night, but isn't it amazing that a simple wink can make someone's day. It sure made mine. Several of my friends have said it to me, and I'll repeat it to you. "Classy. This woman is very classy."

Just goes to show you that ALL diva's are not stuck up bitches.

Ok, I'm off for a nap in the hopes of resting and healing. Sorry to all of you to whom I promised phonecalls today. I'm not capable. Thursday I'll play catch up. I still have 4 shows and 2 border crossings to go before I get to head back home for a short break and rest before we head West and see how they roll....

Love and Light to you all.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I don't remember, it's been so long,"

BRILLIANT. I am SO using that, sadly. But with a smile!!! :)

September 23, 2008 7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel better soon, sweetie. I miss you.

September 24, 2008 10:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's almost as good as,:

" HAve you ever acted?- Carol

"Why, yes, I acted straight for years."- Artie

September 26, 2008 11:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I find it somewhat ironic that you are complaining about hotel room temperature. I seem to remember a small visit when we were all piss-ass drunk in Lawrence Kansas of all places, and you had actually turned the heat completely up in the hotel room while inebriated. I remember it was in the Fall around Halloween, but it ended up being about 90 degrees in a small Super 8 with four very drunk people passed out. Needless to say, we all woke up and actually had to physically extract our tongues from the roofs of our mouths. So, bottom line, let's not hear any bitching about hotel temperatures. Everyone of those cold rooms is just Karma baby! Just kidding, get well soon. You better be in good shape for Thanksgiving.
Love,
The Incredible Ms. Dee

September 27, 2008 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home