Sunday, February 01, 2009

RANT

Just arrived Tulsa from san juan, and I’m here to tell you that the airports are getting even nuttier than before. Longer lines, less than competent help, and more cues than freaking Disney land.

It’s getting to the point where even allowing 2 hours at the airport for a domestic flight isn’t enough time to assure you actually make it to the gate. When is America going to stand up and refuse to put up with the shit that the airlines are pulling?
Don’t get me wrong, we need to be safe. We need to be screened to keep us safe, both in the air and on the ground. Why are we placing our safety in the hands of people who haven’t even received a high school diplomia? Why are we forced to tolerate incompetence and rudeness about their incompetence. I remember when flying used to be a relatively pleasant experience. These days, you pay an astronomical amount for a coach seat, only to be battered with fee after fee when you check in. is it too much to ask for free water on the plane? No, I don’t think so… I also doubt that charging 3 dollars for a cranberry juice is what is breaking the airlines bottom line. Stop paying the CEO’s billion dollar bonuses, and you just might be able to run a profitable airline. Seriously people, I love to travel, but I am seriously pissed off at the airline companies. Fuck you United for leading the pack on charging for baggage… (just charge me 25$ more for the ticket instead of nickel and diming me at the counter, you assholes; people travel with clothing!) fuck you United for making me wait in line for hours on end while idiots all over the world try and cram a suitcase that was never meant to fit in the overhead compartment, in the overhead compartment. Let me say it again, fuck you United!! And fuck the rest the airlines for following suit… and don’t give me the sob story. I refuse to pay 3000$ for a first class ticket to avoid paying a baggage fee. You continue to cut services and continue to whine and raise prices to try and offset your loss of business. Perhaps if you treated your consumers like people and not cattle, you would have a more loyal cliental. Fuck you United for selling me an expensive coach seat that a normal human doesn’t fit in, and the offer me a 30$ upgrade to a ecomony plus seat. WTF? And let me just state for the record, that after I pay you 50$ in baggage fees, I expect to have my luggage arrive with me, or I expect a full refund for fucking up! I’m even beginning to get disgusted with Continential, whom has been my favorite airline for US domestic travel for years.

Why is the common public so stupid as to put up with this behavior? The airlines are taking ADVANTAGE of your fear and cowing you into submission… heaven forbid you argue or raise your voice with any airline or airport employee. It’s AMAZING how fast security comes out of the woodwork.

One should NOT have to take a valium to check in at the airport.

Yes, I’m outraged. Rightfully so… if I wanted to pay good money for people to be rude to me, I could just walk down the streets of nyc, where there is less chance of being arrested for telling someone they are an asshole, when they are clearly being an asshole.

Stand up people, WE are the consumers. The airlines are only getting away with this shit because we are ALLOWING THEM TO DO SO. Do you think American and Delta would have not charged baggage fees if United hadn’t have proven to them that the general American public was ready to fork out more money to their coffers? There is a good reason why I will pay more money to fly on Continental than ever set foot on another united airplane…

End rant, before my blood pressure exceeds even my high parameters.

So uhm, yah. I’ve had about 8 hours of sleep in the last 3 days, and then, of course, dealing with various airports (and fuck you GWBush/Houston international while I’m at it). Don’t you dare tell me I’m going to be arrested for politely asserting my first amendment rights.

San juan was a mess, as was fort Lauderdale. Two crappy crews in a row. Uhm, I should NOT have to show you how to steam a garment if you are on my fucking wardrobe crew. Do I look like a fucking educator? No! take your wrench and go back to electrics or props, and get the hell out of my way.

Seriously. There are days when I feel like my department are the only professionals on this tour/ and I will state that between the three of us, we have more professional experience than anyone else on this tour will EVER have beyond working for HerSelf.

Yes, I’ve had a day. Now I’m going to have cake and go to bed.

I miss you all, and am really looking forward to being home again soon. No buses, no airplanes, no working with people who haven’t got a clue. I value MY WORK too much to have such a lackadaisical attitude about my career, and if you are only in it for the experience, get the fuck out and go do community theatre.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love you. And I will bail you out of any jail after you go on an airport rant! I'll even bring baked goods & a pot roast!
off to move Tom.

February 02, 2009 8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People are lazy and complacent and that's why the airlines get away with it.

No one can be bothered to take 15 minutes to send an email (from the airport lounge, even) to their representatives and senators to force change.

And they don't have the balls to boycott the airlines. If the entire public boycotted the airlines for just three days, they'd be brought to their knees.

Most of these airlines deserve to fail.

February 03, 2009 7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS How do you think we ended up with the eight years of Bush that got us into this mess in the first place?

Because too many people are lazy and complacent.

February 03, 2009 7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, hey, hey! Don't send those incompetent people my way!!!!!!

You should post your airline rant somewhere more public or write the airline. Makes me glad I don't fly that much.

February 22, 2009 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home