Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Show Must Go On

The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002.


The Show Must Go On


People are counting on us to do this, and we must not disappoint them.
This notion is supposed to be a fundamental principle of entertainers.

Yes, we have reached the point where this Age-old saying is starting to get on even my nerves!

Yesterday was a perfect example of just how GLAMOROUS show business can be. One of my performers wasn't feeling well, and ended up dropping out of the show about 45 minutes into Act I of the evening performance. I spend all of Act I on the deck, so I had basically 3 minutes to race down to the dressing room, pull 4 outfits with wings, shoes, hats, et. al., and get the new guy onstage. And with a great bit of teamwork, we pulled it off without slowing the show down, even if I had to RUN (more than once). (And you NEVER let them see you RUN... yes, it's a rule)!! Oh, the drama!!

The transit strike continues... To say it's an inconvenience would be understating it. It's made my fellow New Yorkers even more easily irritated, especially those prone to irritation in the first place. I feel for them. 7 million people a day are now forced to find 'alternate' means of traveling around the city and boroughs. All taxi's now have alternate fares (not on the meter). Everything is charging by zone. For people who had to taxi in from queens, it was rather expensive (going through 5 zones). And to boot, it's PER PERSON. A coworker paid 90 bucks to get to and from work on Tuesday. People are now experiencing having to add 2+ hours to their commuting schedule. We are all hoping for a quick resolution to this strike, so we can get back to our 'normal' holiday madness!!

Despite the strike, we are continuing to play to full houses. This is typically the best time of year for the broadway box office. So as an industry, we are not really seeing that hard of a bite. But it will interesting to see the box office take from this week.

Again I'll say that I'm glad for a hit show. My job isn't going anywhere, a rarity in this business. Paying the additional rent for a small place in midtown is paying off (again). I may not have room, but I'm close to work!!

It's time to brace for the final push. We are ALMOST to the much anticipated DAY OFF. We need a break.

Happy Holidays to you all!

Love and Light

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home