Friday, December 23, 2005

Strike is Over: Return to Work

Having exercised their (albeit illegal) right to strike and having given NYC a 69 hour taste of what life is like without them, The TWU has ordered their people back to work. The Strike is over. Buses began running at 10pm last night, and taxi's turned their meters on at midnight. Thus life is taking a turn back to the 'normal' (ah, it still hurts to use that word).

We are rolling towards the close of a very hectic week at the show. The end is in sight. Two shows today and only one tomorrow. Hopefully everyone will be in a little better mood now that transportation is getting back on track. Of course that isn't going to help improve any of the incompetence of certain individuals. Hell, we all have our issues, but I don't deal well with incompetence. PERIOD. Yesterday was a very rough show for me. We had to wait for certain information before I could do my job, which arrived late (typical), and then I spent 20 minutes tearing around getting things prepped for the current line up. Only to get everything up to the deck and begin my preset to then be told that the published information was not correct. "GROWL" All of this meant that I was now hauling clothes up and down the stairs because several someone's couldn't proof anything before publishing it. Of course, this IS my job; I get it, believe me. But this was not a case of a last minute change in plans, it was a publishing error; which caused some of us to have to redo and replan. Again, it's our job; but it's also other people's job to give us the CORRECT information in a timely matter. I was beyond all patience yesterday as you have probably already concluded. It's been a very rough schedule for everyone and the last thing anyone would want is general lack of attention making more work for anyone else.

The rant continues...

One of my dancers was out due to illness and that meant that I got to spend all of Act II dealing with one of my least favorite people. Fortunately, I am a professional, and I'm quite good at dealing with people who just generally irritate me. He's never done anything to me personally, I just don't like him. No big deal. Except that last night he decided it was time to be lippy, to me. "You can't hang that up yet, I'm still in it" he said to me. Yes, I CAN hang it up, and I'll do it through your dancebelt too Mister. It helps that he's a smart ass to boot. So one scene later he was getting late and I merely stood at the spot and relished the fact that if he didn't come to attention soon, he was going to miss his entrance. He snapped to at the last possible moment and I got him dressed. "You were going to let me be late weren't you?!" he asked. Well, Mr, you know it all, and I'm not going to get fired for you missing YOUR entrance. If you change the show, I would expect that when you are on, you will remember the changes and be where you are supposed to be. I was not having any of the babysitting last night... obviously!

So there is the rant from broadway yesterday. I was in a good mood until I had been in the theatre for about 40 minutes... It's all good. Today is a new day, and will hold new hell for all of us. D has termed it "holiday hell' for a reason. I love that woman.

Speaking of which, I heard the suitcase roll out the front door this morning. Our company has left. The girls climbed onto the couch this morning and started whining as soon as the lock clicked. Auntie has left the building. We had a great visit, and I was glad to be able to offer a roof and bed to her, easing her 'holiday hell' as much as I could. We had a really great visit and as always it was a pleasure to have her both here and at work the last couple of weeks. She will be returning home for the holidays. Enjoy your break AND your company doll!!!


In other realms, this was a very powerful week. Winter Solstice has come and gone. The circle of death has curved back around towards the season of rebirth. Several personal matters in my life have finally been laid to rest. Issues were resolved, questions were answered and I have closure and relief. I'm ready for the new opportunities now, and I actually feel as though I'll have the strength to rise to them when they present themselves. I'm still working on maintaining harmony and balance, but it's becoming easier. D. did a few readings for me on Solstice which confirmed several points, mainly that my creativity is going to be expanding on a larger scale in the next 6 months; or at least that several opportunities are going to be presented. For my part, I'm going to put it out there. It's time; actually it's past time, but the time will now be right. It also became apparent to me that a certain situation/concern in my life was in fact valid, and that it's time to accept and release it. 2 years ago I wouldn't have been able to accept it, but it's something that has occurred over and over in my life. It's a very clear and valid sign. It's about choices that we make. I'm currently at peace, despite all of the work drama. If nothing else 2005 has been a year of major lessons/learning. I've been blessed with a new outlook and insight. With new blessings and power comes additional responsibilities. Now that I have the energy under control, life is sailing smoothly. Never underestimate the power of inner peace.

The token Thought O the Day is : "Release all that does not serve."

Happy Holidays one and all. Love and Light

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home