Thursday, August 28, 2008

Toronto

August 27, 2008

Toronto
Load-in and Show #1

Today was our first Load-in and show day (in North America) all in one day. Certain crew members were arriving at the venue at 5am to commence Load-in. With so many people traveling with this show, the call times are staggered so we aren’t sitting around waiting. Staggered meaning while some people started at 5am, my call time was 8:30. Still early when you consider that wardrobe are the last peoples out of the venue (following laundry) at 1am. Still think show business is glamorous? Stick around and I’ll debase you of that idea. It’s hard Work putting on a pageant, especially one of this magnitude.

I don’t want to rant too much, (and while I firmly believe there is one in every group) I still would like to know WHY there is always someone on the crew who is a supposed professional (these are Union Houses) who manages to arrive for a load-in and show and is dressed inappropriately. WHY? Pink Croc’s are NOT acceptable footwear for theatre professionals. Nor is showing up in a tank top! I take personal offense to tank tops at work. I think it is completely inappropriate for ANYONE to show up to dress people when your personal arm pits are exposed. It’s wrong. PERIOD. Why would anyone show up to a showcall and not at least HAVE blacks with them. I’m ok if you don’t wear them in, but if you don’t know if you need blacks or not, you should Have a set to put on if you do. Period.

Those of you who know me, know I don’t suffer fools lightly nor silently.

AND if you have an hour for lunch and an hour for dinner, then I expect you will come back for show call with appropriate Dresser clothing, specially if you have been told repeatedly you will need it.

[end rant]

It was a difficult day for just about everyone today. Problems with the building, problems with electricity in the building, problem with deliveries; all tending to make this typically happy go lucky crew a bit cranky. Poor catering arrived at 5 am to discover that the kitchen was 4 flights away from the actual dining hall, and then discovered they didn’t have electricity. Big load in and show day and a cold breakfast (which catering took as a personal affront). We understood and were ok with it, but sorry for them that their day started off so difficult. They rallied and gave us a great lunch and dinner but I hear tell certain deliveries didn’t arrive which made the day even more difficult for them. They deserve much applause because they still kept us in the style to which we have grown accustomed. I state again, I am already gaining that 10 pounds I thought I would. (Even running 20 miles a day around and around the arena).

It was difficult set up today, we were allocated one of the club rooms (great, not a locker room) but there was just ambient lighting. I gotta sew and I need Light. Our room couldn’t handle any more power being used. Two steamers and the sewing machine blew the circuit. I couldn’t even route power in from the hall.. it was all the same circuit. [grumble]. Too late to relocate us, so we had to limp through the day until I moved a ceiling tile and found out where they powered in the tv’s on the wall. These were on a separate circuit (the house electrician swore no) but suddenly I was running steamers, machines, irons, fans, and table lights without blowing a fuse. I’m not as dump as my hair may lead you to believe SIR.

We had a lot of work to do today, coming in with dirty laundry and dry cleaning too. The house refused to let us use their industrial washers/dryers, and we had to wait a few hours for our set to be powered up. We got it all done, but it was close. I was smart in pulling dry cleaning and only sent out what I had (clean) doubles of, so we managed to get the show prepped and set and only had 5 items to insert (at the last minute) when dry cleaning finally arrived back at the venue. Again, a tight day.

I think I had a 15 minute lunch and a 35 minute dinner. Glamorous!! I’m not complaining mind you, I’m just stating how the day went. I may be spoiled but I am working my ass off, running my ass off, and even in 15 minutes, eating my ass off… hehehe

Todays set list was more like the American version of the show than the French. In fact, it was the American Version. Only 1 French song, so the whole order of the show was revamped again which brought on the costume quick changes again. The new dancer (Scottish, and I adore his accent when he gets nervous) is doing very well and did a few more numbers tonight. I think he has one more piece to learn and then he’s in completely. So things are still changing and evolving on that front.

I had a pretty good crew today (outside of inappropriate clothes) but they all stepped up and dressed tonight. We had a bit of a slowdown during strike and I’m going to figure out how to clearly explain what I require cause I can’t be 5 places at once and watch 5 people working. I have to trust them to do what I ask and do it correctly. If they don’t, then I tell them again and make sure they do it, but something needs to change and I’m doing to talk to people tomorrow. I don’t believe the old system is the most beneficial, but I want to have solid suggestions for change before I propose how to make it work (for me). Problem is, there are so many variables… and pondering it at 2am is not the time for critical thinking. Hehehe

I have a leisurely call time of 12:30 tomorrow (today) so it will only be a 12 hour day tomorrow for prep, show 2 and loadout.

I will say that HerSelf was working extra hard tonight to engage the audience. They weren’t very responsive throughout the concert and I felt bad for her. Working so hard and not really feeling anything coming back from the house (perhaps the Montreal audiences were just awesome). Toronto screamed their heads off when it was over , but were very quiet during the show. HerSelf gave a great performance though (as always).

Now I must go to bed. I’ll post this if I can find an internet connection, if not, I will come to you up on my return to Montreal.

Still having a great time and still working my ass off. Now THIS is Rock-n-Roll!!

Love and Light!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ain't Rock N Roll grand!

August 28, 2008 8:19 AM  
Blogger Costume Imp said...

I love Rock-n-Roll, so put another dime in the jukebox baby. I love Rock-n-Roll....

August 28, 2008 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! can't wait to see you in Sept.

August 29, 2008 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home