Friday, February 03, 2006

Dress Blues

There was quite a stir at our theatre last night. Commotion, excitement, drooling, staring, and gawking. Group sales had obviously been busy. I had to quickly open my calandar and reaffirm that is was February and not May, fearing I had lost a few months of 2006 somewhere.

Imagine my delight when I stepped outside the stage door to discover that our entire breeze-through was FILLED with Hundreds of Navy boys, all sporting the finest dress blues I've seen in one place in ages. There was also a smattering of army uniforms, but for the most part is was a show a Navy deliciousness. For any of you who have a weakness for a man in uniform, THIS was the place to be.

Not being content to gaze at them from afar, I decided to take a stroll... Right through the middle of the crowd. I'm not one for walking into large groups usually, but when uniforms are involved (and dress uniforms at that) I decided I could stand to take the risk. I would estimate that there were between 200-300 of them. You might not be surprized to know that my walk (of less than a block) took me about 15 minutes. I can't go into all that was running through my mind (as we all know I have a very active imagination)! This was the first time I've been in a huge press of people and didn't get, well, Nervous. hehehe

I finally made my way back towards the stage door, and then enjoyed a couple of moments of people watching; mainly gauging the reactions of my fellow thespians as they arrived at work and took in the sea of seaman and officers, who were all obviously waiting to see OUR work that evening.

I forced myself back inside the building and found myself in the wardrobe room, where I promptly informed one of my bosses that I needed:
A baseball bat
A Large Coil of Rope
and
The rest of the Night OFF!

It amused them, but THE boss looked at me and said, "I saw them earlier, most of them were officers, not really your type." To which my immediate response was "Are you crazy?! That means they have ALREADY been trained!" hehehe

I wandered back into the dressing room to discover that my best friend Scott had called and left me a message. Basically it was "It's about 7:15 and if you haven't stepped outside for a breath of fresh air, I HIGHLY suggest you do so now!" Good ole Scott, always looking out for me.

It was an excellent audience last, breathing new life and excitment into the show. Maybe it was just proximity of us all to our proud men in uniform, but whatever, it worked!!

It makes one question just what all of those uniforms were doing in our theatre. I mean in this day in age, the Military attending a broadway Musical. It speaks volumes to me, and I'm keeping the rest of my thoughts to myself so as not to incur the notice of national security.

SO MUCH FOR DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL!

Love and Light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home