Friday, October 17, 2008

The Next Leg

Sacramento, CA

It was with light suitcase and heavy heart that I departed my comfortable home and begin my 12 hour travel day across the whole of the States.

Budget Travel has got nothing on me this leg. I managed to pack one suitcase that will hopefully attire me throughout the west coast, Northwestern Canada, and Mexico. It still wasn’t full either. This leg is all about layers, and (gasp) currently running on only two pair of shoes. (I must be insane). Of course, I was intelligent and savvy enough to pack a few things into my road boxes so they were meeting me here in Sacramento. There is no point in paying to fly my shower bag home and back when the contents are not worth the now 50 or 100 dollars it would cost to fly them roundtrip.

Having never imp’d around Sacramento before, I wasn’t sure what to expect. What little I did see of the city was positively rural yet beautiful. The venue itself was nice even with (what looked like) years of unfinished construction. The landscaping was incredible and our room was very near (one of) the loading docks, so it was difficult to pass by the dock without seeing how stunningly beautiful it was outside. I’ve always been a sucker for palm trees and sunshine, and Sacramento had this in abundance during our short stay.

Those of you who have been on the road before know that the local crew is the fulcrum that will make or break your day. I will whole heartedly endorse the wardrobe local that we had there. Not since Buffalo have we had such a great crew. They were actually waiting for us in the wardrobe room when we arrived and were ready and willing to work. This was a great blessing to us all, as we had more work than usual to accomplish, on this first stop on the next leg. Many cases needed to be unpacked, reorganized and repacked, due to the cleaning that happened in another country and without any of our assistance. (Our two people in Montreal are to be commended for their excellent work; it all came back relatively correct.) It was such a blessing to have a knowledgeable and talented crew. One of them had actually toured before and really took everything seriously. How great that someone would complete a job and then actually return to us and ask for the next project.
I took a special liking to one of our ladies for completely aesthetic reasons. She was standing and steaming a rack of clothes, and I caught her profile as I was working in the corner. I suddenly realized she reminded me of someone. My co-workers didn’t see it, but then again, my coworkers aren’t the fans and have not the background that I have concerning HerSelf. This crew person actually looked like HerSelf (about 15 years ago). It could have been the eye makeup application, it was definitely the bone structure and hairstyle of HerSelf about 5 or 6 albums ago. It made me smile even broader than before, just seeing her working so diligently on HerSelfs clothes. It was almost like a time lapse photo, seeing an early star look alike working on the present day diva tour wardrobe. It’s the small things that get you through a day, right?!

Obviously the show went well. HerSelf was in fine voice after a break and she nailed it to the arena audience, who repeatedly were stomping their feet in appropriation and approval. I don’t think I need to tell you how that gets this Imp off. Or perhaps I do; I get a huge charge out of seeing thousands of people screaming and applauding HerSelf. I feel the energy pass from the house through the Diva and back along through all of the staff. It’s the main reason I put up with the lifestyle that one must embrace and endure to do this gig. It really is that 90 minutes that makes the whole day worth it. There are very few people who give me such a charge to work with/for. I can count them on one hand. I haven’t experienced such a working thrill since my Sho-Sho was belting her ass off as the green girl on Broadway.
All in all, it was a great return to the road. It was a pleasure to reconnect with everyone and to see everyone rested and ready to roll once again. Many thanks to the powers that be for providing the gift of returning to work and having it be such a wonderful, wonderful experience.

Love and Light to you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home